Job Description‐Facilities Maintenance Technician
POSITION OVERVIEW: Responsible for performing routine building maintenance tasks. Performance of building
maintenance tasks in one or more fields (e.g. carpentry; electrical; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC);
plumbing, etc.); Perform general cleaning. Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Inspects buildings and other structures to determine functional systems and detect malfunctions and needed repair making notes and recommendations using a pre‐established check sheet.
- Performs minor electrical maintenance to include but not be limited to replacement or repair of fixtures (e.g. wall switches and outlets, incandescent and fluorescent bulbs and tubes, ballast, sockets, fuses, minor appliances, cords, etc.) using appropriate hand, power and specialty tools.
- Performs minor plumbing maintenance (e.g. replacement or repair of leaks in drains and faucets, unclogging of drains, trenching and laying new lines, replacing drain hoses on washers and similar devices, etc.).
- Performs minor painting, carpentry and masonry work (e.g. preparing surfaces and using brush, sprayer, or roller to apply paints, stains, and varnishes, hanging doors, fitting locks and handles, etc.).
- Reconfigures, installs, positions, and remounts modular offices and space (e.g. furniture, wall panels, work surfaces, storage bins, lighting, file cabinets, etc.) to accommodate user needs and maximize office space using various hand, power and specialty tools, dollies and hand trucks.
- Prepares the surfaces and paints various structures and equipment (e.g. walls, refrigerators, evaporative coolers, floors, roofs, doors, restroom facilities, etc.) to preserve wood and metal parts from corrosion and maintain a safe, comfortable working environment using various painting equipment and related tools (e.g. sprayers, rollers, brushes, thinners, etc.).
- Clean rooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, rest rooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, parking lots, and other work areas.
- Order parts and maintain required documents.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work flexible hours.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory.
The requirements listed hereafter are representative of the knowledge, skills and or abilities required to do this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Completion of elementary school education.
- Two years working experience in facility maintenance.
- Basic understanding of electrical, plumbing and carpentry is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to read, writes, speaks and understands English fluently.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be customer service oriented.
- Ability to meet or exceed the company’s attendance and punctuality standards.
- Ability to evaluate objectively, fairly, and consistently.
- Ability to use common tools.
- Ability to understand and follow directions as given.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Use miscellaneous office equipment (e.g. calculators, typewriters, computers, FAX machines, copiers, etc.)
- Color vision
- Ability to push minimum 100 pounds (power cleaning appliances); ability to lift minimum 50 pounds (trash and supplies).
- Ability to climb ladder and step ladder.
- Bending at the waist, sitting, kneeling, laying horizontally, climbing, walking, etc., as job may require.
- Extreme heat or cold
- Lifting or pushing up to 50 pounds
- Noise level which may, at times, require normal hearing protection in the form of ear plugs.
- Heights (RHVAC instructors/ lab assistants only)
- Lubricating fluids, cleaning solvents, batteries, etc.
- Cleaning fluids normally used in custodial duties.
- Paints and solvents.
- Bio‐medical waste such as hypodermic needles, body fluids, cultures, specimens, etc.
This above Job Description is not intended to be an all-encompassing list of responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this position. It is intended to be a guideline reflecting the principle activities.